Sigma phi gamma founders park
Ethel Anderson of Rock Island, Illinois conceived the idea for Founders Park. Ethel wanted a permanent memorial to the Founders of Sigma Phi Gamma International Sorority. During the International Convention of 1941, in Atlantic City, plans toward establishing the park began. The park was dedicated in 1945, to commemorate the 25th anniversary of Sigma Phi Gamma and Ethel participated in the formal dedication.
Founders Park is located three blocks west of S.R. 3 between North and Elm Streets in Hartford City, Indiana. The park hosts a variety of recreational opportunities, including a "kiddie park," tennis courts, and a basketball court. Founders Park sits on 12 acres and is twice the size of any other park in the community. The park honors the five Hartford City women who founded the sorority. Members of the Alpha Chapter, and members from throughout the country, generously donate funds annually to help maintain the park. This includes purchasing play equipment, benches, flowers, and trees. Sigma Phi Gamma is actively involved with the Park’s Board (organized through the city) in decisions affecting the park. In 1999, Sigma Phi Gamma adopted the local Tee-Ball program and provided them with two ball fields, which the Tee-Ball program volunteers maintains in top form. Hartford City youth football program also call Founders Park home. Pee-Wee Football continues to gain popularity in the area and the park is busy nearly every day of the week during the spring and summer. A flag football program is also available for Kindergarten through 4th graders.
Happenings at the Park
A new bench was purchased with monies donated by Epsilon Gamma Alumna Chapter, Hamilton, Ohio. The bench was installed on the hill by the Founders’ trees. The handicap walk to the concession stand has been started, Pee Wee football is in full swing, and due to the recent rains the Park is beautiful and green again. Our new SPG flag waves proudly over the Park thanks to a generous donation from Alpha Phi Chapter, Chicago, Illinois and monies from the Park fund.