Did you know that Friendship is good for your health? I recently read that friends are a great way to improve both your physical and mental well-being. The staff at the Mayo Clinic reported…
Good friends are good for your health. Friends can help you celebrate good times and provide support during bad times. Friends prevent loneliness and give you a chance to offer needed companionship too. Friends can also:
* Increase your sense of belonging and purpose
* Boost your happiness and reduce your stress
* Improve your self-confidence and self-worth
* Help you cope with traumas, such as divorce, serious illness, job loss or the death of a loved one
* Encourage you to change or avoid unhealthy lifestyle habits, such as excessive drinking or lack of exercise
Friends also play a significant role in promoting your overall health. Adults with strong social support have a reduced risk of many significant health problems, including depression, high blood pressure and an unhealthy body mass index (BMI). Studies have even found that older adults with a rich social life are likely to live longer than their peers with fewer connections.
Doctor’s aren’t the only people who know the value of friendship. Sigma Phi Gamma Sister’s know how important our friendship and support is to one another. We can each play a part in our Sister’s health. Reach out and foster current friendships and make an effort to build more. Many women are waiting for us to improve their health.